Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Women's Empowerment Team of the East takes Raleigh by storm

Guest post by Esther Ross

A phenomenal event took place Wednesday, April 29, 2015 in Raleigh NC for North Carolina HIV Advocacy Day.

The Women's Empowerment Team of the East - aka Girls on Fire, ready for their first meeting with legislators.
The WE Team of the EAST (Women Empowered aka Girls on Fire) advocated on issues that directly impact people living with HIV in North Carolina. They did an outstanding job communicating the importance in achieving viral load suppression, increasing positive health outcomes to improve quality of life is for the state of North Carolina.

The WE Team of the EAST met with two senators who serve our Region 10 area; Senator Don Davis and Senator Louis Pate. We did so well that Senator Don Davis gave up his seat for Miss Juliette Sharpless and agreed to attend our Life Skill Support Group at ECU Physicians in Greenville September 2015 as a pledge of his continued support and commitment of HIV programs in our state.

Miss Juliette Sharpless at Senator Davis's desk for the discussion
Smiles all around: The WE Team of the East after talking with Senator Davis
 In regards to Senator Louis Pate, WE Team of the East did and an excellent job in expounding on the cost effectiveness in promoting programs that increase access to HIV medications to achieve and maintain viral load suppression versus utilizing the emergency room to treat opportunistic infections that occurs as viral load increases.

One of the arguments posed was “Imagine the cost of 1400 clients utilizing the emergency room to treat infections opposed to 1400 clients in which 82% are viral load suppressed in care at ECU Physicians in Greenville, NC." It is important that advocacy efforts continue at all levels in North Carolina to ensure our elected officials recognized the importance of these programs that contribute to the management of HIV in our communities to reducing the spread of HIV and linking those diagnosed with HIV are linked to care.
The recommendations on the agenda were:

  1.  ADAP: To fully fund the AIDS Drug Assistance Program and oppose recurring funding cuts to accommodate for future changes in federal appropriations or voluntary corporate rebates especially when Medicaid has not been expanded for this state. 
  2.  Youth Access to Healthcare Services: Protect the ability of young people to access mental and sexual healthcare, including HIV prevention, testing and treatment.
  3. Harm Reduction: Support House Bill 712, which will authorize the State Bureau of Investigations in collaboration with North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition, to establish pilot programs to collect and properly dispose of used syringes in two NC counties; and amend the existing Needle-stick Prevention law (HB 850) passed in 2013 so that a person who declares a syringe to a law enforcement officer prior to being searched will not be charged for possession of the syringe or for trace residue inside the syringe.

Felicia Brock talks to Senator Don Davis about HIV policy in Eastern NC
Thank you WE Team of the East for being ‘Women on Fire’ in HIV advocacy: Felicia Osborne; Juliette Sharpless; Mary (Cathy) Taft; and others.

Always ‘On Fire’ - Esther Ross

Esther Ross is the Region 10 Network Coordinator, a Social Work Practitioner and Medical Care Coordinator in the Department of Internal Medicine at the East Carolina University-Brody School of Medicine, and an advocate for those living with HIV in Greenville, NC. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello every body on this site, I want to give a testimony about my HIV virus that was cured by a great spell caster. Since last 4years now I have being an HIV patient. I never think I live long again and am so grateful about this great man called DR ADAGBA who cured my HIV AIDS last 3 weeks. I was in a great pain so I told one of my best friend called Susan who was cured from 7years HERPES DISEASES; she told me that there is a great spell caster that can cure my HIV. I asked her if she had his email address, she gave me his email and I emailed him. He talked to me and he perform the necessary rituals and he told me that after two weeks I should go for a test and Which I did, when the doctor told me that am now an HIV negative, I couldn’t believe myself, I went to see another doctor the result was still the same, I was human on planet earth again, so I emailed him and thanked him. Please if you are having a similar problem please visit him/contact him on adagbaspiritualtemple@yahoo.com or call +2348115200304

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, everyone! I,m here to explore blogs and forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for (Herpes Virus).I was positive to the deadly virus called herpes and i lost hope because i was out casted and rejected even by my closet friends.i searched on-line to know and enquirer about cure for Herpes and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from Herpes so i decided to contact the same herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything.i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God!after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days!i used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!its really like a dream but i am so happy!thats the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me!and if you need his help, you can email him on nativehealthclinic@gmail.com, Instagram IG: @dremmanuel2 or whatsapp +2348140073965 I,m neme amber and you can get in touch with me via nemeamber@gmail.com..Contact him for help at Herpes virus HIV/AIDS CANCER COPD BRAIN TUMOR All kind of virus and disease

      Delete
  2. My name is MERCY LARA, I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who helped me in my life. I was infected with HIV VIRUS in 2006, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HIV VIRUS and gave me his email, so i email him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after four weeks the HIV VIRUS that was in my body got cured so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at dr.obhiotorherbalhome@gmail.com or call+2347064851317
    DR OBHIOTOR CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE
    1.HIV/AIDS
    2.HERPES
    3.ALS
    4.STROKE
    5.HEPATITIS B
    6.GONORRHEA
    7.SYPHILIS
    8.PREGNANCY
    9.ABORTION
    10.C.O.P.D/M.N.D...
    11.KIDNEY PROBLEM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am Steven Phillips by name, I did not believe in spells or until last year someone close recommended me to Dr ATILA . I must say it really is excellent at what they do and why I testify my case: The woman with whom I was to marry left me a month before the wedding and my life was turned upside down because our courtship had worked for 4 years. Dr ATILA practiced Santeria ritual with me and soon everything returned to normal, and I'm married with a beautiful daughter.thank you for your help,with mine i believe with assurance that he can also solve yours. i advice you to contact(atilahealinghome@yahoo.com. or call +2347067607073.)you are really the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Karin Sabine from USA,i was having problem of conceiving and bearing children after 12years of marriage,i have been to several hospital but could not conceive until i saw a testimony of the internet of how Dr ODUGU help one lady with pregnancy spell and she conceive. I contacted him without no doubt and she told me every thing i am to do,which i did accordingly,to my greatest surprise,i got pregnant within a short period and i am so glad to tell everyone that i am a mother of children. Please do contact her on :oduguspellcaster@gmail.com or Call:+2348151761795.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, everyone! I,m here to explore blogs and forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for (Herpes Virus).I was positive to the deadly virus called herpes and i lost hope because i was out casted and rejected even by my closet friends.i searched on-line to know and enquirer about cure for Herpes and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from Herpes so i decided to contact the same herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything.i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God!after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days!i used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!its really like a dream but i am so happy!thats the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me!and if you need his help, you can email him on nativehealthclinic@gmail.com, Instagram IG: @dremmanuel2 or whatsapp +2348140073965 I,m neme amber and you can get in touch with me via nemeamber@gmail.com..Contact him for help at Herpes virus HIV/AIDS CANCER COPD BRAIN TUMOR All kind of virus and disease

    ReplyDelete