Monday, June 3, 2013

Think Tax Reform Isn’t an HIV Issue? Think Again.

original photo by justinsomina via Flickr Creative Commons
Access to health care is important for people living with HIV/AIDS - but so is having groceries, housing, childcare, and transportation. If these basic needs aren’t met, keeping up with HIV/AIDS treatment is much harder. According to the National AIDS Strategy, the best way to guess someone’s chances of getting to their doctor’s appointments and taking their medications is to know is whether they have a stable housing situation. In North Carolina’s HIV needs assessment, housing and transportation rank just below medication in the top needs for people living with HIV, and food is not far behind.

That’s why NCAAN is paying close attention to the tax reform plans currently under debate at the NC General Assembly. One Senate plan includes tax hikes on food, medication, and medical services, all of which are critical for people living with HIV. Under the House tax plan, all of us with incomes below the top 20% would pay more in taxes. The top 20% would pay less. And all three plans being discussed by lawmakers point our state in the same direction: less revenue from income taxes and more from sales taxes, which would place a heavier burden on the shoulders of lower and middle-income families.

As HIV advocates, we can’t sit idly by while elected officials take our state down a path that will make it harder for people living with HIV and communities disproportionately affected by HIV to lead healthy, productive lives. Over 5,000 people living with HIV in our state are at or below 150% of the poverty level. The AIDS Drug Assistance Program ensures they have access to medications, but they need more than medications to survive, let alone thrive. These tax proposals make it harder for people living with HIV to afford the stable life they need to stay healthy and keep up with their medical care. And these proposals put a heavy burden on communities worst hit by HIV, including rural, African American, and Latino communities across North Carolina.

Can you write a letter to the editor in your local paper about how the tax shift would affect your community? We can help! Email Claire Hermann at claire@ncaan.org.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Editor,

    I enjoyed your article, “Think Tax Reform Isn’t an HIV Issue? Think Again”, because it reminds us that for people living with HIV, housing situation is one of their main concerns beside medication. The latest draft House Tax Reform could have caused unaffordable housing price for them. As you have mentioned, many lawmakers pointed out that under the House Tax plan, people will have less revenues from income taxes, and more from sales taxes, which could caused a heavier financial burden to people from lower and middle-income classes.
    As you have stated, over 5,000 people living with HIV are at or below 15% of the poverty level. I believe this Tax Reform could definitely affect their living standard.
    I agree with you. A recent news from Los Angeles Times “Real estate benefit could be cut as part of tax reform measures”, it pointed out that the Tax Reform could have resulted in loss of 659,000 jobs because of the cut in housing benefit. By no means can this Tax Reform ease the financial burden of the lower and middle-income classes.

    Cho Yi Leung
    August 14, 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless Dr. ozman for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HIV since 2010 and I was taking my medications, I wasn’t satisfied i needed to get the HIV. out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HIV i saw a comment about Dr. ozman, how he cured HIV with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 8 days later i was cured from HIV,thank you dr.ozmanspellhome@gmail.com Dr ozman ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU SIR contact him whatsapp number +2349061515609
      _1 cancer cure
      _2 diabetes cure
      _3 ringing ear
      _4 herpes cure
      _5 warts cure
      _6 HPV cure
      _7 fabriod

      Delete
  2. Good-day every one, my name is Mike Clinton, i want to share my experience with the general public on how i got my hiv aids cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of hiv, but i never believed them, but one day bi wanted to tests the faith of the DR OGBOLE, then i contacted him on his email on DROGBOLETEMPLEOFCURE@GMAIL.COM, when i contact him, he told me so many things about my life and so many thing about me which was 100% correct, then i pleaded with him to help me out, then to my greatest surprise he prepared some medicine and he asked me to take it, which i did exactly the way the asked me to take them, he told me that in three days time tat i should go and check on my hiv status, i was kind of been surprise, when i went to the hospital to check of my status, the doctor was so surprise when he saw that i was hiv negative, i did not know how i am going to thank DR OGBOLE for his good work so i decided to share with the general public on what the great DR did for me, i am so thankful to GOD, for sending DR OGBOLE to my rescue, of you are out there having same illness you can contact him so he can help you out on DROGBOLETEMPLEOFCURE@GMAIL.COM, i live in united kingdom, you can also call me if you wish on +447031948646, thanks for sharing from my experience.........................

    ReplyDelete


  3. I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who help me in my life. I was infected with HIV virus in the 2010,i went to many hospitals, churches for cure but there was no solution out, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that i cannot loose my life, I lost everything I have my husband run away from me and also took my children along because of my sickness. One day I was in the river side thinking the next step to take if it is to jump into the river so that I can loose my life totally or just think where I can go to get solution. so a lady walk to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to him telling her my stories, she told me that she can help me out that’s the reason she normally come here to help people so that thy can be cured because she was into this problem before, she introduce me to a doctor who cure people with herbal medicine and gave me his number and email so i called him and also email him. He told me all the things I need to provide and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening he called me and told me that i should go for an HIV test and which i did as he told me and the result was negative. so if you are also heart broke and also need a help you can also email him at dr.ukpoyanspellhome@gmail.com or +2348055327605

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everybody here me out and please help me thank Dr bello for his good work I really believe HIV has no cure I was HIV positive over since 4 year plus before I come across a comment about Dr bello that he have cure to any disease and virus but when I saw it i have it in mind that he can’t cure HIV I just decided to give a try I contact him that night luckily to me he said yes but I don’t believe him I think it was a scam or some thing like that but I still hold on to see the work of Dr bello if he is saying the true, he ask for different thing and some question about me I give him all the details he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem. After all the things is done he ask me to go for check up I went for HIV test I cant believe i became HIV negative thanks to Dr bello for helping me cure my disease. if you need help of any kind you can contact him on this mail bellospelltemple@gmail.com,or whatsapp number +2348147271779 he will help you because he help me

    ReplyDelete
  5. All thanks to Dr omohan, i have being suffering from HIV for so long. till i met a woman who told me about a particular doctor who has cured her from HIV, i thought it was a scam, till i collected her number and i called her, she is an america woman,she told me all i need to know about this doctor , and i contacted the doctor and explain my situation to him and he told me all i need to do.And am happy to tell the whole world now that am HIV negative, may the good lord grant you long life doctor.If you are suffering from such illness or you have any spiritual problem, hurry up and contact doctor omohan via email:dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com. or call him to via:+2348164816038

    ReplyDelete