Sunday, June 23, 2013

We can't stop now: Why I'm defending ADAP

Guest post by Michelle Stinson, CNA


I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the AIDS Drug Assistance Program and if it wasn’t for people who believed in me when I didn’t believe in myself. Now the General Assembly might cut $8M from that program. We can’t let that happen.

I just came back from a retreat where many people were newly diagnosed with HIV, and I was struck by how much they are hurting – not because of stigma, but because of fear. Fear of their diagnosis. Fear of telling others. I have been there. I know what it was like. We were able to rally around those people. We told them “Life is going to be OK.” We told them “You will be able to go on.”

This is my fear – without enough funding for ADAP, how are we going to be able to help people who are newly diagnosed to live? We’re going to have to put them on a wait list.

When you’re dealing with an HIV diagnosis, it can be hard to get up out of the bed, put on a smile, and face life. If you have too many stressors, it makes it so you can’t put that smile on. It makes it harder to lead a healthy life. If you have to worry about where your medications are coming from – that’s big.

And if the state cuts certain kinds of medications out of the program, that’s big too. I know first-hand that when the state cut mental health medications, a lot of people got sick, got scared, hurt other people – but if the meds had just been there, those people would have been OK. It all ties together – mental, emotional, physical. If one piece is missing, it can make your whole life out of balance.

I’m living a healthy, happy life right now. I’m getting off many of my medications because my body is getting stronger. I’m getting healed from the inside out. I’ve got my CNA certification. I’ve been in the same home for seven years now. I voted for the first time last year. At one time, I didn’t think my life was that important. But now I am in the fight. I am not going back. I am here to stay. And I’m not afraid, because I’ve got too many people on my side.

This is not over. If we can get the General Assembly to put even part of that $8 million back in the AIDS Drug Assistance Program, that will be worth fighting for.

Please send a message now. Tell our Representatives and Senators that we need ADAP. 

Make sure that our legislators notice us and know that “no” is not an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment