Thursday, October 4, 2012

NCAAN Registers to Vote Because...

By Kyle Hoover, NCAAN Promote the Vote Coordinator

From now until Election Day, I’ll be sharing the stories of a why members of NCAAN’s Action Team will be voting in this election. Keep an eye on NCAAN’s Facebook page for more stories and photos!

NCAAN Action Team Member Melissa is a member of UNC Chapel Hill’s Class of 2014. Here’s what she told me about her experience registering to vote:


I registered to vote about a week ago. I was walking to campus and a girl with a clipboard who was working for a voter promotion group stopped me and asked if I was registered.  Since I wasn’t, I decided to fill out a form so she could mail it off. The process was pretty simple, and it only took five minutes.

I registered because I am 20 years old and this is the first election that I have been able to participate in.  So many people, especially women, have fought and sacrificed so much for me to have the ability to vote that it would almost be disrespectful if I didn't exercise that right.  

With this election, we can create the healthy future all North Carolina families deserve - one centered on fairness, equality, and access to care, including HIV prevention, testing, and healthcare services.

The first step is making sure we and our loved ones are registered to vote by the October 12th deadline. You can find all the resources you need to register to vote or confirm your registration status on the NCAAN Votes page.




Here are some reasons why other NCAAN members will be voting in this election:

One vote can make a difference. - Edgar, Winston-Salem
To end HIV. - Christina, Charlotte
It’s my right! - Shannon, Hillsborough
I want to move forward! -Michael, Charlotte
I want equality for all Americans. -Michelle, Carrboro
I want to make a difference! -Courtney, Durham
Everyone deserves fair and equal protection by our government. - Erin, Chapel Hill
The people who believe they can change the world are the ones who do. - Susan, Chapel Hill

Thank you for sharing your stories, everyone!

Why are you registered to vote in this election? Share your answers in the comments!

Why do you vote?  Print out your own sign and send your photos or stories to be featured on our blog to kyle@ncaan.org. Your story can inspire others to register and vote!


No comments:

Post a Comment