Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Welcome Matt Martin to NCAAN!

Comfort is something that we focus on in every aspect of our lives.  We want clothes that are made from the softest materials, beds that mold to fit our bodies just right, and even technology that makes it so we never have to leave the comfort of our couch.  Think about it!  From birth, children are given comfort objects that help them when they are fussy or upset, so it only makes sense that, in everything we do, our goal is to be comfortable.  The funny thing is, it wasn’t until I became uncomfortable that I truly became happy.

When I graduated from high school, I had my whole future planned out.  I would go to college with my scholarship papers in hand, major in music education, take all the classes I needed, have a stellar experience with my student teaching program, graduate with my degree, obtain a job as a middle school band teacher, and live happily ever after.  It was set.  Music was my “comfort” zone that I excelled in, so naturally that was the career path that I chose.  I spent my entire college career making sure that I stayed on track to make my future as comfortable as possible. I got a call, after graduating in 2013, which offered me a job as the band teacher of my very own middle school program.  Alas, everything that I had been working so hard for had finally come into fruition, and it was time to make my plans a reality.

As I began my teaching career, within days I realized that I was unfulfilled.  Here I was, twenty-two years old, doing exactly what I had planned for so long, and I wasn’t happy.  My “comfort” had quickly become the thing that obligated me every day when I woke up.  I realized that in my years of preparing myself for my future, I completely forgot to find what really fulfilled me.  I was so concerned with staying inside the box of my “comfort” zone, that I let my passions go to the wayside.  In the name of my “comfort,” I became uncomfortable.

The interesting thing about being uncomfortable is that it forces you to fight for yourself and approach life in a different way.  As I continued to be unhappy with everything that I tried in my teaching career, I started seeking out what it was that I truly wanted.  I reflected on the things from my past that truly made me feel fulfilled, and one common trait kept showing up: fighting for what was right.  For as long as I can remember, I have been passionate about helping people and advocating for social justice.  I wasn’t always able to be super involved because of the predetermined plans I had set for my earlier self, but, when I was able to partake in issues of advocacy, an overwhelming feeling of fulfillment consumed me.  Even in my teaching career, I realized the part of the job that I did enjoy was when I was able to advocate for a student who was struggling.  So, there it was, my answer to the lack of fulfillment, staring me directly in the face.  I knew what I needed to do.

After two years of being unhappy and unfulfilled, I took the leap of faith and decided to resign from my “comfort” plan.  I did all that I could to become involved in issues of social justice and advocacy in order to make my passions a reality.  It wasn’t easy.  I applied to job after job with no feedback; I volunteered with advocacy organizations whenever I could; and, though I was tired and stressed and worried, the satisfaction and passion that I felt far outweighed any fear that I had.  I finally landed a job with the TurnOUT! Charlotte campaign, then again with the TurnOUT! NC campaign.  For the first time, I woke up every morning excited for life and the fight for justice that I knew was my purpose in life.  I found that the fight for intersectional equality introduced me to a side of myself that I didn’t know existed, and it wasn’t until I made myself uncomfortable that I truly became happy.

So, it is after all of this that I get to say that I am ecstatic to join the team of the North Carolina AIDS Action Network as the Grassroots Advocacy Coordinator.  I am ready to join in this fight to empower and advocate for those impacted by HIV/AIDS.  I care so deeply for people and equality, and I will do all that I can to make a difference in this world.  Your struggle is my struggle.  Your fight is my fight.

In the words of Dr. Seuss, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It’s not.”

- Matt Martin, NCAAN Grassroots Advocacy Coordinator

6 comments:

  1. Welcome, Matt! I enjoyed reading about your leap of faith. I always find it admirable when people push themselves out of their comfort zones, especially when it involves social justice advocacy. Knowing how fantastic Lee is, I'm sure you're a great fit for the team.

    Jeff Thomas
    Ryan White Program Assistant Administrator and
    Behavioral Health Coordinator
    Division of Infectious Disease
    East Carolina University

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is donald boykins , am here to appreciate Dr Akhigbe for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. Is about 3 years and 6 months now I have been living with this virus and it has been a serious problem to me, I was so confused cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. Akhigbe curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. Akhigbe on his email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com, i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, he gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and i was cured everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, dr .Akhigbe, God bless you and give you more power and ability for more cures.i dont know if there is any one out there suffering for herpes virus or any of these diseases..DIABETIES, CANCER,GENITAL AND SIMPLEX HERPES,LOW SPERMS COUNT,SYPHILIS,HIV/AIDS,FIBRIOD,COPD,MENINGITIES,HEPATITIES B [HBV] DISEASES .etc why don't you contact dr.Akhigbe today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2348142454860

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my HIV cured 2 month ago. i have under go different hospital for treatment so many times i decided to go through the internet.I saw so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr. Akhigbe, I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr.Akhigbe, then i contacted him through his email. drrealakhigbe@gmail.com, he assured me 100% that i will be cure by his herbal medicine, i only pay for the herbal medicine and services He sent me the herbal medication through UPS express delivery and also instructs me on how to be taking it.in the next 2 to 3 weeks i should go for another test meaning that am cured if only i followed up as he instructed me.i drink the herbal medicine for three weeks and i went for test behold i was made holy when doctor confirm me my result was negative i was shock, yes am really happy that i got cured from hiv after many years. Dr Akhigbe you are bless you said you are godfather of herbalism i believed you now and i promise to share the goodness, really how great and kindness you are. i think its time for me to recommend anyone going through HIV, HERPES HSV-1 or HSV-2, HPV, HEPATITIS B, DIABETES, CANCER reach him through his Email : drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatAPP +2348142454860. He saves lifes..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.
    Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with godly heart. Well - everything I decided all go through for me well and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
    Dr Itua Contact Information.
    Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com
    Whatsapp Number....+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Chief Dr Lucky, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure.
    Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com
    Whats App : +2348132777335
    website : http://chiefdrluckysolutionhome.website2.me/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete