Monday, April 8, 2013

ADAP Stories: Josh


Hometown: Raleigh

Profession: Non-Profit Development Associate

Q: What has North Carolina's AIDS Drug Assistance Program meant to you?

A: ADAP has meant that I’m able to work and that I was able to finish school and stay healthy enough to maintain a normal and productive life. I was diagnosed with HIV in 2006; I was a low-income student about to start graduate school and did not have health insurance. At the time I did not need medication, but they went ahead and enrolled me in ADAP. I was on it for about three years and then in 2009, while in my last year of graduate school and still without health insurance, the time came for me to begin taking medication. 

Because I was on ADAP, I was able to get my medication without any delay or complications. A month after I began medication my viral load was declared undetectable for the first time. Being able to go on medication through ADAP enabled me to take my comprehensive exams and complete all my final projects, graduating on time. 

ADAP also allowed me to change medication due to an allergic reaction I had. If I had been on a pharmaceutical patient assistance program there could have been a delay in changing my medication because I would have had to apply for another program through a different pharmaceutical company and hope that they approved me to receive medications. Being on ADAP allowed me to go on treatment when I needed to and to change treatment, as I needed to. 

When I came back to North Carolina for work after graduating and moving to another state, there was a waiting list for ADAP. That was of great concern for me because the job I had accepted didn’t cover health insurance. It was a very scary time for me because while on the ADAP waiting list I was reliant on a clinic supply for my medication. Thankfully I was a patient at a large clinic and was able to receive medication for the month or two that I was on the waiting list. 

ADAP was once again a lifesaver. It allowed me to be a productive citizen—to work and pay taxes and put a roof over my head and food in my mouth. I don’t want to lose ADAP. Time and again it’s been there to help pay for my medicine when I couldn’t have otherwise. Here I am speaking to you today, and I’m undetectable, and I’m able to be a healthy and productive member of society. 

ADAP enables people to move out of poverty and into the working class; it enables them to continue with life. ADAP is an economic builder—it helps the economy because it propels the HIV positive segment of our population out of lower socioeconomic levels; it gives them the ability to reach their potential and to care for themselves and their families. 

Interview by Blaire Benson

This is the first of a series of interviews highlighting the impact that the AIDS Drug Assistance Program has on the lives of people in North Carolina. If you would like to share your story, contact Claire at claire@ncaan.org

To take action to save the AIDS Drug Assistance Program from proposed budget cuts, send an email to your legislators now.

1 comment:

  1. Hello every body on this site, I want to give a testimony about my HIV virus that was cured by a great spell caster. Since last 4years now I have being an HIV patient. I never think I live long again and am so grateful about this great man called DR ADAGBA who cured my HIV AIDS last 3 weeks. I was in a great pain so I told one of my best friend called Susan who was cured from 7years HERPES DISEASES; she told me that there is a great spell caster that can cure my HIV. I asked her if she had his email address, she gave me his email and I emailed him. He talked to me and he perform the necessary rituals and he told me that after two weeks I should go for a test and Which I did, when the doctor told me that am now an HIV negative, I couldn’t believe myself, I went to see another doctor the result was still the same, I was human on planet earth again, so I emailed him and thanked him. Please if you are having a similar problem please visit him/contact him on adagbaspiritualtemple@yahoo.com or call +2348115200304

    ReplyDelete