Monday, April 15, 2013

ADAP Stories: Michelle W


Hometown: Winton-Salem
Occupation: HIV/AIDS Advocate

What has the North Carolina AIDS Drug Assistance Program meant to you?

I’ve been on ADAP since 2008, and it has meant life support for me and my children.  It has enabled me to be here today; it has been a huge financial support and a source of stability and encouragement. 

When I was first diagnosed I had no hope. I was one of those who thought life was over the next day. I had no idea where I was going to be able to find financial or medical support. 

Once I was introduced to ADAP I realized there was hope. It gave me courage to go out and help others and teach others about these resources.

It gave my kids great hope as well; it let them know help was on the way. A sick parent can’t raise a child, but ADAP gave my kids a foundation to know that their mom was going to be okay. 

It’s important to preserve ADAP because our state will end up spending more money burying those who die because they don’t have access to medicine and providing foster care for the orphans left behind than they would on ADAP itself. 

We need to save lives, not take them. ADAP saves lives. 

Interview by Blaire Benson

This is one of a series of interviews highlighting the impact that the AIDS Drug Assistance Program has on the lives of people in North Carolina. If you would like to share your story, contact Claire at claire@ncaan.org

To take action to save the AIDS Drug Assistance Program from proposed budget cuts, send an email to your legislators now.


No comments:

Post a Comment