Friday, April 19, 2013

Harm Reduction Victories in Raleigh


We just got some great news from our friends at the North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition! Here's the email:
_____

You Advocated, Your House Members Listened! NC Republicans Introduce Needlestick Prevention Bill to Improve Law Enforcement and Community Health
Dear NCHRC Members,

We wanted to share this exciting news with you! The same week that the Good Samaritan/Naloxone Access bill was signed into law, Republican legislators introduced more harm reduction legislation - House Bill 850 (HB850),  "Possession of Needles, Tell Law Officer."  HB850 aims to decriminalize the possession of syringes and other sharps if a person declares them to a law enforcement officer prior to search. Current law criminalizing syringes or other sharps intended for drug use provides incentives for people to not tell the officer of their possession when being searched by an officer and leads to high incidents of needle-sticks among law enforcement. Currently, one in three officers will get stuck by a syringe or "sharp" during their careers and 28% will suffer multiple sticks. In an effort to encourage honest conversation between a person carrying a syringe and law enforcement and reduce injury and disease exposure, HB850 would decriminalize the possession of syringes and other "sharps" if they are declared to an officer prior to search. The bill applies to syringes and other sharp objects on the suspects' person, in pockets, in a vehicle, or on the premises.

HB850 is being introduced by a team of Republican legislators. Current primary sponsors are Rep McNeill and Rep Faircloth, both retired law enforcement officers, and Representative Hardister, and Dollar. The bill currently has 15 co-sponsors from both parties and will soon be debated in committee. This is an important step towards protecting law enforcement from needle-sticks and potential exposure to blood-borne disease, as well as improving community health.
 
What's next?

1.) Call the primary sponsors to voice your support of this important legislation and to thank them for standing up for law enforcement and community health!

Rep Faircloth 919-733-5877
Rep McNeill 919-715-4946
Rep Hardister 919-733-5191
Rep Dollar 919-715-0795
 
Please send an email to NCHRC if you have done this by sending an email torobert.bb.childs@gmail.com

2.) Join the conversation on our social media
Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/NCHarmReduction
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49624519007   

In solidarity,

Robert Childs
NCHRC Executive Director

and

Tessie Castillo
NCHRC Program Coordinator

1 comment:

  1. Hello every body on this site, I want to give a testimony about my HIV virus that was cured by a great spell caster. Since last 4years now I have being an HIV patient. I never think I live long again and am so grateful about this great man called DR ADAGBA who cured my HIV AIDS last 3 weeks. I was in a great pain so I told one of my best friend called Susan who was cured from 7years HERPES DISEASES; she told me that there is a great spell caster that can cure my HIV. I asked her if she had his email address, she gave me his email and I emailed him. He talked to me and he perform the necessary rituals and he told me that after two weeks I should go for a test and Which I did, when the doctor told me that am now an HIV negative, I couldn’t believe myself, I went to see another doctor the result was still the same, I was human on planet earth again, so I emailed him and thanked him. Please if you are having a similar problem please visit him/contact him on adagbaspiritualtemple@yahoo.com or call +2348115200304

    ReplyDelete