Tuesday, April 9, 2013

ADAP Stories: Michelle


Hometown: Asheville

Occupation: Disabled. Volunteers as CNA advocate for the Western North Carolina AIDS Project

Q: How has the North Carolina AIDS Drug Assistance Program affected your life?

A: ADAP has drastically changed my life. If it had not been for ADAP and my case management with Western North Carolina AIDS Project I would not be a success story today.

When I was diagnosed, I was moving down a very unhealthy path. I could not afford my HIV medication; I had very little income; and I was living a very unhealthy lifestyle centered on alcohol and drugs. ADAP has healed me. I was able to get medication not only for treating HIV, but for my other illnesses (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.) as well. 

As my health began to improve I became more hopeful about my life. I lost 85 pounds and have kept it off for over three years now. I no longer have to take any medication other than my HIV medication. I’m now sober and healthy. Being healthy has allowed me to create a much more stable life for myself.  I’ve had the same address for the last seven years. That is a huge success for me. 

When you don’t have your basic needs taken care of you don’t care about the medication, so creating an overall healthy and stable lifestyle is a very important part of ensuring that people take their medication. ADAP has helped me rise above the stigma of being HIV positive. I was at death’s door—literally. Now I am healed—in so many ways. My new healthy lifestyle is sustainable because I know I will be able to continue my medication through ADAP. 

ADAP has also changed the lives of people I love. My sister passed away from AIDS. When she was diagnosed the HIV virus in her body had already advanced to AIDS. Before she passed, she had four children—none of which contracted HIV from her because ADAP provided medicine to my sister while she was pregnant. ADAP is the reason my nieces and nephews are negative. They give me hope, and ADAP gives me hope.  

Interview by Blaire Benson

This is one of a series of interviews highlighting the impact that the AIDS Drug Assistance Program has on the lives of people in North Carolina. If you would like to share your story, contact Claire at claire@ncaan.org

To take action to save the AIDS Drug Assistance Program from proposed budget cuts, send an email to your legislators now.

3 comments:

  1. Hello every body on this site, I want to give a testimony about my HIV virus that was cured by a great spell caster. Since last 4years now I have being an HIV patient. I never think I live long again and am so grateful about this great man called DR ADAGBA who cured my HIV AIDS last 3 weeks. I was in a great pain so I told one of my best friend called Susan who was cured from 7years HERPES DISEASES; she told me that there is a great spell caster that can cure my HIV. I asked her if she had his email address, she gave me his email and I emailed him. He talked to me and he perform the necessary rituals and he told me that after two weeks I should go for a test and Which I did, when the doctor told me that am now an HIV negative, I couldn’t believe myself, I went to see another doctor the result was still the same, I was human on planet earth again, so I emailed him and thanked him. Please if you are having a similar problem please visit him/contact him on adagbaspiritualtemple@yahoo.com or call +2348115200304

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day everyone my name is tina joyce from U.S.A, I have this great opportunity to share this testimony about how I get cure for my HIV,three years ago I was HIV positive so I was suffering from it I was doing one thing or the order to get a cure there was know way for it so I was on my research on the internet I saw a testimony of a young man, about how dr.bello help him get a cured for HIV with his herbal medicine I was surprise and I do not believe I said okay let me try him I contact him on his email address and he gave me instructions and I follow it he told me what to do and I did it, after a week he sent to me the medicine true DHL he told me how to use it and I did exactly how he instructed me to use it, after two weeks he told me that I should go for test, indeed I did it, and behold I was HIV "negative" am so grateful Doctor, now am happy with my Husband and two kids I want to use this opportunity to say this, please if you have this kind of disease called HIV, I want you to contact him on is email; bellospelltemple@gmail.com or call him on +2348147271779 and he can also help you get a cure for HPV, HERPES, CANCER,disease and he can cure you from any kind of diseases with his herbal medicine. all you have to do is to believe him. thank you my Dr may god bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never thought herbal medicine could cure herpes. However it wouldn't have been possible for me to gain my health back without the kind support and help of the doctor babaiba. I would like to extend my golden sincere thanks to doctor babaiba who helped me with his herbal medicine which he sent to me through DHL courier services. I start by introducing the great herbalist doctor babaiba who is so powerful and good in herbal medicine to cure any kind of illness. I am highly indebted to doctor babaiba for his help in curing me of herpes with his herbs. Don't let anyone deceive you because I am a living testimony. The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary is the "Extra" My dear friends go for the Extra and regain your health back to normal again with doctor babaiba herbs. You can purchasing doctor herbal remedy through his WhatsApp number: +2348140046509 or via email drbabaibaherbalsolutiontemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete