Friday, April 26, 2013

ADAP Stories: Stephanie



Hometown: Fayetteville

Profession: Aspiring business woman; B.A. Mass Communications from Fayetteville State University 

Q: What has the North Carolina AIDS Drug Assistance Program meant to you?

A: ADAP has been important to me because my medicine is my lifeline. I can’t take a test at home to know my viral load and CD4 count, but because I know my meds are consistent, I also know my health is stable, and I can remain undetectable. 

Losing ADAP for those who don’t have any other access to their medication would be like losing hope all together. If we lose the money funding ADAP people will die. 

For the infection rates to be going up and the money funding programs like ADAP to be going down is just a contradiction in itself. 

We deserve to live like anyone else. When you take away the funding that helps us to live what does that say about how you run your state? It says that obviously you don’t care about the people living here. 

It is sad that people have to be put in the situation personally to understand it. God forbid they have a family member or someone they love become infected, but most of the time that’s what it takes for people to truly understand how important programs like ADAP are. It’s sad that we have to fight to live. 

We need to do something about this epidemic now so this isn’t still affecting our children and grandchildren. It should be a human right to have reasonable access to health resources. North Carolina can’t be neglected anymore. We’re in the top 10 states infected. Don’t ignore my state.

3 comments:

  1. Wage earners in other outpatient facilities earn an average of $33,306 every year. Three of the biggest employers in NC are the Angel Medical Center, Betsy Johnson Hospital and Dosher Memorial Hospital. http://techniciansalary.net/medical-billing-and-coding-salary-in-north-carolina/. Click here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and the stigma associated with HIV in southern states keeps people hushed. I am from California and was a Marine here in the 80s. I see what the stigma of not only HIV but the racism from both sides keeps people divided in this state. I used to think things were fair but in North Carolina, while there are some of the top hospitals in the country treating HIV, those people being treated have to go somewhere at the end of the day. Some of those places especially in North Durham NC are not desireable. HIV unfortunately for many means living in substandard situations where they have to choose to eat or take their meds, all the while worrying about their families from the wannabe thugs who are some rampant in this town. I think it's despicable to have such division is a town that claims cultural diversity. Maybe it is for the affluent, but for the low income and people with HIV Durham definitely has a reason it's called Dirty Durham. HIV treatment should be a right, nobody with HIV asked for this sentence of stigma and poverty. I have been living with HIV since the late 90s and Aids since 2005 with a hospitalization. I am stable now thanks to the fact I am a veteran and don't have to depend on ADAP. HIV treatment should be a right, don't take anymore away from people who have little already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello every body on this site, I want to give a testimony about my HIV virus that was cured by a great spell caster. Since last 4years now I have being an HIV patient. I never think I live long again and am so grateful about this great man called DR ADAGBA who cured my HIV AIDS last 3 weeks. I was in a great pain so I told one of my best friend called Susan who was cured from 7years HERPES DISEASES; she told me that there is a great spell caster that can cure my HIV. I asked her if she had his email address, she gave me his email and I emailed him. He talked to me and he perform the necessary rituals and he told me that after two weeks I should go for a test and Which I did, when the doctor told me that am now an HIV negative, I couldn’t believe myself, I went to see another doctor the result was still the same, I was human on planet earth again, so I emailed him and thanked him. Please if you are having a similar problem please visit him/contact him on adagbaspiritualtemple@yahoo.com or call +2348115200304

    ReplyDelete